Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Shawangunk Neighbors

Since the discovery of the 1770 deed of Shawangunk property from James Gillespy to Matthew Bevier Jr., I thought it would be productive to get more familiar with the Gillespy neighbors. Me and my bright ideas. The work is interesting and mind-numbing at the same time! Nevertheless, here is my research report, which is my best attempt to sort through the myriad details looking for Gillespy connections. Some of the highlights include:
  • mention of relatives in ARMAGH (KAIN)
  • James Gillespy as a deed witness (KAIN)
  • William, Matthew, and Mary Gillespy as will witnesses (ROOSA)
  • mention of Matthew Gillespie as a former landowner  (ROOSA)
  • mention of Ann Gillespie daughter of Matthew Gillespie, deceased (GRAHAM)
From the looks of things, after selling the Shawangunk property James Gillespy moved down into the Hanover Precinct (what became the town of Montgomery). I guess I'll be meeting the neighbors in Hanover next....

No comments:

Post a Comment